gynaecological scans - Endometriosis
Is a painful condition in young women
Endometriosis is a condition where there is bleeding into a cyst each month. The same tissue (endometrium) that lines the uterus and sheds each month is found in these cysts outside the uterus. It is commonly found in the ovaries and is almost always associated with pain. Endometriotic cysts do not resolve spontaneously.
Ultrasound can detect large endometriotic cysts , however, small deposits of endometriosis can not always be seen on scan and gynaecological opinion may be indicated for a definitive diagnosis.
Transvaginal scan will normally be performed and it will take about 20 minutes. You do not have to attend with a full bladder.
Scan will show
- Size and shape of the uterus
- Any abnormality such as fibroids
- Thickness of the lining of the womb ( Endometrium)
- Size of both ovaries
- Any cysts in the pelvis
- Size of cysts, and look for signs suggesting endometriosis
- Look for fluid in the pelvis.