early pregnancy - Confirmation of pregnancy
5 to 6 weeks scan
From about 5 weeks of pregnancy, the gestational sac will normally be visible as a thick wall rounded structure within the uterus. This can be a reassuring sign and can rule out an ectopic pregnancy.
The sonographer will measure the sac and look for signs of yolk sac and early embryo.
The scan will take approximately 20 minutes and will show
- The size and shape of the womb (Uterus)
- Signs of pregnancy in the womb
- Site of pregnancy in the womb
- Confirm Dates
- Exclude Ectopic pregnancy
- Number of gestation Sacs
- Possible yolk sac
- Possible early embryo
- Examine your pelvis to rule out fibroids or ovarian cysts